Monday, January 2, 2012

Combing your hair with a bulldozer



Some things you just never see.


I have never seen someone try to drink a glass of water by soaking their hair in it.


I have never seen anyone try to eat a piece of lumber, after shaking salt and pepper on it.


I have never seen anyone try to use a coffee cup as a shoe.


I have never seen anyone try to fill up their car's gas tank with tomato ketchup.


Why haven't I?


Because none of these actions make sense, in any way, shape, form or fashion.


Similarly, Luke 8:16 continues my thoughts:


“No one lights a lamp and hides it in a clay jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, they put it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light. "


Why not?


For the same reason one does not make a parachute from lead ... it just doesn't make sense!


OK, blog-readers ... listen up!


You've been given some gifts by God ... I know it ... you know it.


And you may not have been using your gifts ... and ... wait for it ... God says that just doesn't make sense.


He gave gifts to you for a reason ... not for you to archive rather for you to put in motion.


He gave you a baseball bat not to waste away leaning in a corner but to swing at baseballs.


You wouldn't water your tomato plants with gravel ... wouldn't make sense.


Neither should you watch the special abilities God with which God has entrusted you, atrophy due to lack of use.


Just do it  ... that is what makes sense. Ya think?







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good question.

I know one thing you hardly ever see anymore ... A grown man on his knees in prayer.

Could it be that we are afraid of the light that would shine?

Are we more "comfortable" praying under a basket?

Marjie said...

I am never going to get the idea of combing one's hair with a bulldozer out of my head. Do you think maybe my spouse tried that? I will remember that image as a reminder to use the gifts I've got, rather than the ones a corrupted world says I should have.

Jerry said...

...I'll go with the idea of "atrophy"...most often the prevalent way of thinking is, "use it or lose it," with the notion that gifts or natural abilities get lost, die or even disappear. How easy it is to negate our gifts with a simple, "I forgot." But they just don't go away because they're hardwired into our very nature. After extreme atrophy and long periods of time, yes, the gift indeed seems dead, but it's not. With cultivation and development it can reach it's full potential - that's when great satisfaction comes to the person who has the gift and for everyone on the receiving end.