Saturday, December 24, 2011

Masters of exclusion


Something has been on my mind for a while ... why are churches, indeed, the entire raft of Christianity, so focused on defining the basis for excluding others?

Why does much of Christianity seem so locked on to who is not in the club rather than lifting up the life-giving aroma of Jesus Christ?

Why are we so well-versed, indeed, astute, in how to bar others at the door?





I heard a wise man once say that the last thing a drunk needs to hear is that he is a sinner and has a problem.

He knows he is a sinner.

His problem is how to get well, not understanding that he is sick.

What brought me to Christ?

The life-giving reality of a deity who actually existed and would relate to me.

Trust me, screaming at me that I was a sinner and damned to eternal hell-fire would not have yielded a good result.

Lifting up Jesus Christ did, however.

Is there something for us to consider in all of this?

Maybe it has to do with not being a master of exclusion.

Set your heart on being a light to the world, rather than a baseball bat clubbing the world.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Question 1 - Churches try to exclude for the same reason there are 30000 denominations ... Every denomination is created to try to "improve" upon the denomination from which it separated from ...

Christ established one church ... And everyone is welcome in it.

Question 2 - The Church was created for all sinners ... And I am foremost among those ... We are all in the club.

Question 3 - We all want to sit at the right hand of God. If someone else is ... That means we are jealous.

Question 4 - Christ brought me to Christ. It is not I who lives but Christ who lives in all of us. Let's not disappoint him so often.

Question 5 - Let us all consider that love and forgiveness are the only rules.

PS. I am not worthy, but Christ has healed me.

Jerry said...

word