Sunday, March 25, 2012

God just put a whew in my life

I had a pretty bad wreck on my birthday, March 24th. Two cars totaled. Whew.

I fortunately was able to walk out of the ER on my own 2 feet four hours later. Concussion. 13 stitches to the forehead.

But I have to ponder ... Why did this happen?

What was God trying to teach me?

What message was there in any of this for me?

Was it truly a random event? are there really ANY random events?

Should I ponder this event at all? Is it just a waste of time to plow through all the endless permutations?

Great questions, huh?

I'm really not able to leave all of this in the land of no ponderings, I am sorry. My DNA just will not permit it.

There has to be something here beyond a driving lesson.

Here's what I have figured out so far ...

1) life can change in the blink of an eye.
2) as an add-on to number one, God can require us at any time to be in heaven immediately.
3) the outpouring of love and support for me has touched me so profoundly.
4) people really do care about me ... You'd think I'd know this by now, right? Wrong. Seems like I am always surprised when someone gives a hoot about me. Go figure.
5) if there are things I need to do because well, they are on my heart to do, I need to do them immediately. Procrastination and eternity make for strange bedfellows.
6) I am expendable.
7) I am not part of earth's permanent staff ... I am just a temp and earth is just a part-time gig (by the way, this is true for you too)

My wonderful little car is replaceable.

My friends gushed toward me. My family was a tsunami of love and support.

God was very present with me through all of this. I felt his love sitting in the car with blood covering my face. I felt his love in the ambulance ride. I felt his love in the physician's care.

I was keenly aware of his presence as I sat on my back porch healing.

Two take-aways:

It can all change in the span of time that it takes a mosquito to hiccup.

When it all changes, he still loves you ... Internally through his spirit and extrnally through family and friends.

Whew!

4 comments:

Jerry said...

unreal Terry...so glad you were able to walk away in such a short time...greatly appreciate these writings expressing your take on the crash...it's pretty intense and a lot to take in, so i'll have to read it many times over...it hits me extremely close to home and has left an indelible impression...it's hard to comprehend how close we really are to just slipping into eternity...thanks again...hope your recovery goes well

Marjie Smith said...

Like that bit about not being part of earth's permanent staff. So true, and so seldom included in our plans. Most of our planning is long-term. Short-term is a step to our long-term. Guess we need to think more about short-term planning, huh?

Anonymous said...

...Subaru is a good choice.

So glad you are still with us ... We must still need thinking Christians.

Anonymous said...

Terry, don't really know you...just your pretty wife. We are so glad you are ok, and so glad you felt His Presence in that trial.