Sunday, March 4, 2012

Thank God that the rock is in my shoe and not in my head



There was a job that I really, really wanted, a long time ago.
And I thought I got it.  I was even notified that I got it.  I was ecstatic.  I thanked God over and over.
But I was notified about 5 hours later that the offer was rescinded. (by the way, I love it when that happens)
I was crushed.  I was angry at God.  I was confused.  Then I turned the anger on myself.  I was a loser, I told myself.   I was a joke.  I was no good.

Isn’t this the journey that disappointment takes in us?   

 This is how it works  in me and I suspect that this may be how it works in you.

Think about a bitter disappointment you have had.  Now let’s get our arms around it.
Since we profess to follow Christ, we must put this in God’s hands.  I mean, we have to ... there is really no other option.  Or else it is all a big fairy tale.
In Romans, we read that  ‘all things work together for the good for those who love God and are called according to his purpose.’
In my case, I had to believe that it was God’s will that the door to the job was slammed shut.  Perhaps I would have suffered something that was not good in the new job and God spared me from it.  Perhaps there was an opportunity that would be better for me that I would not have been available for.  Who knows?
Our Father does. Yep, he does.  He's the only one with that kind of time telescope in his backpack.
What about your disappointment?
Have you given your disappointment to God yet?  Or are you still in the spin cycle of disappointment, going round and round and round and round?

With all the joy absolutely forced out of you.


Let me challenge you to give your disappointment to God.  You probably won't have peace in your heart until you do.  
How do you turn your disappointment over to God?
You pray.  You communicate with God.  You say, ‘God, I turn this disappointment over to you.  I give you all of the circumstances, all of my hurt and confusion.  I trust you with this disappointment and ask you to help me move through this.  Help me gain wisdom from this disappointment. Amen’
It is crucial that you seek wisdom from any and all disappointments that you endure.  Let’s face it, disappointments are part of the stuff that life is made of.
Some people allow disappointments to change the course of their lives.  For the worse.  You do not want this to be you.  You do not want to be the one who encounters a disappointment so large and so persistent that it knocks your life off course.
So let’s review ... when faced with disappointment:
1) nothing wrong with feeling bad about it for a short period of time ... that is part of being congruent with your feelings and being congruent.  So don’t beat yourself up over  feeling down and confused when a disappointment comes your way - no matter the size.
2) turn the disappointment over to God
3) ask God for the wisdom that you need to glean from the disappointment.
Learning to handle disappointment as a stepping stone rather than a millstone around your neck can be a key to growing in Christ.

Oh by the way, that job offer that was rescinded ... that entire company lasted only seven months longer before it ceased operations.

Interesting, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God knows us ... Better than we know ourselves.

God loves us ... More than we deserve.

God saves us ... From our many weaknesses.

God protects us ... From us.

Life is a journey ... Enjoy the ride ... Good, bad or ugly.

Thanks Terry ... Great story.

Jerry said...

word